On June 22, the European Commission launched the long-awaited first Horizon Europe calls, available on the EU Funding and Tenders Portal.
Earlier in June, the Commission adopted Horizon Europe’s main work programme for 2021-2022, announcing €14.7 billion of EU funding to support the transition to a greener, fairer, and more digital EU.
Health – a central component of Horizon Europe
Horizon Europe is the EU’s ninth consecutive Research and Innovation Framework Programme (2021-2027). A recent article on our website provides a distilled summary of the programme.
Just like its predecessors, Horizon Europe is made up of three main pillars:
- open science
- global challenges and industrial competitiveness, and
- open innovation
The second pillar consists of five clusters, including health. The health cluster promotes inclusive improvements in public health and wellbeing. Further, this cluster aims to promote the development of health technologies and make the public health system more equitable, sustainable, and cost-effective.
One cornerstone of the health cluster is Europe’s Beating Cancer Action Plan, which we profiled in another recent article. The plan will support the Member States in improving cancer prevention, control, and care.
The first Horizon Europe strategic plan
Horizon Europe’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024, published in March 2021, defines the key strategic orientations for the programme’s first four years.
The document provides a detailed overview of how the health cluster has been developed to achieve six expected impacts:
- Staying healthy in a rapidly changing society
- Living and working in a health-promoting environment
- Tackling diseases and reducing disease burden
- Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality care
- Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies and digital solutions for a healthy society
- Maintaining an innovative, sustainable and globally competitive health-related industry
At LINQ, we are rolling up our sleeves and getting ready to support research proposals initiated by our longstanding partners as well as new clients.